04 June 2014

The last one


This is the last poem of a group of poems that I wrote several years ago, and submitted for publication then and more recently.

The source of love is the lover

It was with you
I began to understand
the power of the source and the catalyst;
the necessity of the impulse to support the action
and of the action to realise the intention.
To say I love, I must love.

How late I come to this,
and surely there’s more.

The endeavour is perilous;
we reach for the heart only to recoil
when our fingers encounter skin.
Or we are halted just by a look,
dismayed when a shaft of light
jolts the beloved into negative relief.

But I saw it played out before me,
in a man’s face contorted with pain
and the effort of expression:
there is no guilt involved.
We give of ourselves to make it true, to make it love;
we relinquish nothing.
It is the holding back,
the holding on,
that causes loss.

And the loss is always our own.

(First published in New Contrast 165 Vol 42, No 1)



No comments:

Post a Comment